Is a mixtape a secret window into someone’s soul? Is it just a randomly compiled grouping of songs that share nothing but a context?
Last year, thanks to the prompting of my friend Matt, I made my first ever year-end mixtape. I gave it to a bunch of people I know, including my friends TJ and Scott. This year, as 2009 winded down, I began to prepare another mixtape. TJ had the great idea that all of the people we regularly attend concerts with should go ahead and make their own and then we would share them with each other.
Eventually we settled on a day. Luckily, the Packers game was on Sunday and didn’t interfere with the event that we had already scheduled. Michelle and I got to TJ’s place in Bay View at around 7. Scott was already there. We cracked some beers and soon Diana, Cindi and Adam arrived.
We headed to Honey Pie Café (2643 S. Kinnickinnic) where I enjoyed a Furthermore (from Spring Green) Three Feet Deep. I really enjoyed it, even though the others that tried it suggested it tasted like meat (really? Meat?). It took a while to get our table, but it was a nice chance for everyone to catch up. Eventually, we were seated and went around the table and talked about or mixtapes that we’d made.
I suggested the theme of mine was love, after all the word is in the title of three of the songs and is the subject of at least five others.
I ordered a sandwich called the Turkelator, which was basically a turkey sandwich. I also switched to PBR tallboys. It came with a bowl of corned beef minestrone, which was delicious. I made a fool of myself by asking for my soup after Scott got his, I was told mine was with my meal so they were waiting to bring it out. The sandwich was good, it didn’t have any special ingredients or anything you wouldn’t expect. I’d eat there again.
After dinner, we headed back to TJ’s to play some RockBand. I picked up a Leinenkugel’s variety pack, which had their seasonal beer, Fireside Nut Brown. It was delicious and had a coffee-ish flavor to it. TJ’s RockBand setup is incredible. A few weeks ago he had put some pictures on facebook and I just couldn’t wait to get my chance to play it. The experience didn’t disappoint. He has two strobe lights and a fog machine as well as all the instruments. I sang several songs, Nine in the Afternoon, Creep, When You Were Young, and Won’t Get Fooled Again (Awesome!). My voice was still feeling the effects of Squad 6 the night before. Others did a bang up job on the mic, Cindi was awesome on Maps, Scott was great on Dead or Alive and TJ picked the ultimate sing-along, Say It Ain’t So. Very, very fun. And perfect for the fact that this was a party to celebrate music, what better way than to partake in some.’
After, we headed to Blackbird Bar (3007 S Kinnickinnic). I’d been there once before, with Cindi, Diana and TJ after the Say Anything concert. Great atmosphere and good music on the jukebox. I was drinking Schlitz and eventually we got a big booth in the front. It seemed like everyone was talking with everyone. I had an excellent conversation with Scott about various topics of significant import.
We stayed until last call and then Scott, TJ, Michelle and I returned to TJ’s. We ordered Jimmy John’s sandwichs (Scott bought everyone chips) and sat around and waited for them to deliver. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I ordered another turkey sandwich, Michelle and I split the JJ’s #4. Then we sat around and talked until 3:30 a.m. At which point TJ declared that he was going to bed. The rest of us followed suit.
And now I have five CD’s to listen to. Maybe, I’ll be able to answer the questions I opened this entry with. More likely, I’ll find a bunch of great new songs to listen to and new artists to explore.
Even more importantly, we started a tradition that I am sure will endure. Here’s to good music and better friends...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment