
Hillary Clinton received a Presidential endorsement from respected political analyst, oops... I mean singer Barbara Streisand.
I don’t know why these showbiz-types assume they have ubiquitous influence over the general public. Instead of encouraging political discourse, they campaign. (The notable exception to this being Puff Daddy’s dismal ‘Vote or Die’ campaign. Diddy didn’t make good on his promise. Two-thirds of the country didn’t vote last time, and, last I recall, Diddy still hadn’t killed anyone).
But I think I understand why they do this, because, like myself, they assume that most of the general public are stupid, and in this specific case, they believe they are stupid enough to vote for whoever they favorite celeb tells them too.
Still, the fact that they Streisand vote will go to Hillary is probably about least surprising thing I’ve ever heard. This was a foregone conclusion. The fact that this was even announced seems somewhat redundant.
Interestingly enough though, even though Streisand supports Hillary, she is still giving money to several other Dem. nominees.
Which makes me wonder, will securing the vaunted Streisand endorsement actually be a boon for Hillary?
I really don’t think so, and here’s why. For as many people as there is out there who love Babs, just as many people (mostly husbands who have been dragged to her shows or movies) probably strongly dislike her. Her overall approval rating is probably somewhere north of Bush, but notably south of some of the more prominent, liberal-endorsing celebs.
I can see Barbara going up to John Edwards or Obama after they secure the nomination and saying something like, I still supported you, and my support of Hillary probably helped you. And maybe that’ll even be true. Wow, Barbara really knows how to cover all her bases.
Still, there are already enough good reasons not to vote for Hillary, but something Streisand said worried me. She said something about Clinton becoming ‘Madam President.’
I think that this is a glimpse into the future of the campaign. I really believe that if Clinton gets the nomination, part of her campaign will resolve squarely around the fact that she is a female. Which is probably THE most irrelevant thing about Hillary the candidate.
But again, through simplification, stupid people find clarity. I don’t know who I’m voting for you, I haven’t decided, but one things for sure, it won’t be based on what some washed up singer believes…
link: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Clinton-Streisand.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

No comments:
Post a Comment